United States or Tonga ? Vote for the TOP Country of the Week !

But Abraham refused them, and said: "I have lift up mine hand unto the Lord, God Most High, who hath created the world for the sake of the pious, that I will not take a thread nor a shoe-latchet nor aught that is thine.

The movement threatened to deposit her cap on the carpet behind her, but she recovered it in time, and took up the thread of her discourse by quoting the much-prized family distinction "There was your Aunt Penny, who married into the county." "Oh! are you at that humbug?" he cried, with a man's disrespectful impatience. "I thought it had seen its day, and was long over and done with.

Had I you with me, you and my sister let us suppose, or Vivian, or any one from here who had known me, I could not even struggle to raise my head." "It would wear off." "I will go alone; and if occasion offers I will make fresh acquaintances. I will begin another life which shall have no connection with the old one, except that which will be continued by the thread of my own memory.

'Christmas Day, 3 P.M. -There came the Waits I suppose, and Jane had to stop and leave me to take up the thread. Poor dear Jenny, the festival days are no days of rest to her, but I am not sure that she would enjoy repose, or that it would not be the worse possible penance to her.

She would be sewing-though interrupting her work at intervals to scratch her head a little, to bite the end of her thread, or to snuff the candle and I would think to myself: "Why was she not born a lady she with her blue eyes, beautiful fair hair, and magnificent bust?

The old cure of Porto-Fino said truly, that 'Sin is a labyrinth; if once we enter, we loose the thread which enables us to return to virtue. Ah! would I were with my mother in Italy. Useless wish. It is too late; I am banished from my country, and a price set on my head."

But if any such had existed in the background of Boyne's life, they had disappeared as completely as the slip of paper on which the visitor had written his name. There remained no possible thread of guidance except if it were indeed an exception the letter which Boyne had apparently been in the act of writing when he received his mysterious summons.

The evening air was delicious with the smell of flowers, still wet with rain. The spirit of the breeze softly whispered among the branches above me. Far up in the darkening blues a hawk circled. The west was a thread of yellow flame; the moon rose over the hills in the east; Diana on the heels of Apollo! And the river!

Behind that trench, along its whole length, as far as we could see, ran a sinuous thread of light-coloured soil. It was the beaten track by which the Germans had moved up and down their trench. They could not move in the trench, so when they wanted to move they had to hop up and move outside of it.

"Henry," she said, in a silvery thread of voice, "I am glad to see you. You must excuse my not rising I can't walk without help. You are like your father, and even more like your grandfather, and your little boy takes after the family." She drew Phil toward her and kissed him. Phil accepted this attention amiably. Meantime the young people had risen.