United States or Malta ? Vote for the TOP Country of the Week !

That done, put the needle in again about where it came out, draw it through from the back, and bring it out where the next knot is to be. For large knots use two or more threads of silk, and do not twist them more than once. With a single thread you may twist twice, but the result of twisting three or four times is never happy.

'I can't think how you do it, mother, he would say. 'I follow the thread, she would answer 'just as you do in the mine. She never had more to say about it; but the less clever she was with her words, the more clever she was with her hands; and the less his mother said, the more Curdie believed she had to say. But still he had made no discovery as to what the goblin miners were about.

Ralph was a very feeble child, and could only with great difficulty be persuaded to retain his hold of the slender thread which bound him to existence.

I had, however, a silk neckerchief; and having unravelled this, I twisted it with the greatest care into a strong thread. It occupied a good deal of time, but I succeeded in three or four hours in forming a line of sufficient length for my purpose. I had plenty of loose shot, too, which I split for weights.

Tell my sister to put on my hat and hold the book in front of her face and be photographed for me." "Very well, Missis." She went out, and again I numbered the page and essayed to write. But I could not. I was rapidly becoming mired. I stonily refused to leave my desk, but sat staring at the wall, trying to get the thread of my narrative, when Mary again. She was in tears.

Their journey seems to have been a journey of many mischances, extraordinary discomfort, and incredible length; and it is not till the second week in August that we again take up the broken thread of his correspondence. Writing to Mr.

Ellen clapped her hands "Oh, mamma, may I make it a nightcap?" "Yes, my dear; I will get some old linen, and cut out a few things, after tea." "I will give you a crown, my dear," said Mr. Harewood; "as I cannot assist in sewing, I must help to buy needles and thread." "And I will give you a shilling, mamma," said Edmund, "if you please."

In the oil-pipe, the pipe ends and sockets are cut on a taper of 3/4 inch to 1 foot, for a 4-inch pipe, and the socket used is thicker than the steam and water socket, is 33/4 inches long, and has entrance for 1 5/8 inches of thread on each pipe end tapped with 9 standard threads to the inch.

There are many interesting features of the old teaching that they have embodied in their books. For instance, at Salerno both sutures and ligatures were employed in order to prevent bleeding. We are rather accustomed to think of such uses of thread, and especially the ligature, as being much later inventions.

In its anterior portion was a cylinder, furnished with cables, which held back a great beam bearing a spoon for the reception of projectiles; its base was caught in a skein of twisted thread, and when the ropes were let go it sprang up and struck against the bar, which, checking it with a shock, multiplied its power. The second presented a more complicated mechanism.