The octagon form was often adopted in the lady-chapels at the east end of our most ancient cathedrals, where the recesses were devoted to tombs and private chapels. The upper or clere story is supported on arches, with an enriched gothic window in each compartment.
Lady-chapels are usually found at the extreme east end of the choir, unless that position was wanted for the resting-place of a local saint. Walbran favoured 1482; Sir Gilbert Scott the middle of the fourteenth century. See the illustration, p. 2. The Builder, February 4th, 1893. They were wooden and covered with lead, and are represented as octagonal.