United States or Egypt ? Vote for the TOP Country of the Week !

Crouching against the passage wall, she closed her eyes. When she reopened them, Chevalier was lying on his side, across the doorway. His eyes were wide open, and he seemed to be gazing at them with a smile. A thread of blood was trickling from his mouth over the flagstones of the porch. A convulsive tremor shook his arm. Then he ceased to move.

The manner in which the pilot handled our brig, too, among the thousand ships that lay in tiers on each side of the narrow passage we had to thread, was perfectly surprising to me; resembling the management of a coachman in a crowded thoroughfare, more than the ordinary working of a ship.

She has been my good angel ever since. It was she who sent me that May-pole spoon, as a souvenir of that meeting." "Oh, would you tell me about it?" asked Lloyd. "It sounds so interesting." Taking up some needlework from a basket on the table, Miss Gilmer leaned back as if to begin a long story. "There isn't so much to tell, after all," she said, pausing to thread her needle.

Two colours, red and blue, are used, and the designs are tatued free-hand, the instrument employed being a piece of copper or brass about four inches long and half an inch broad, with one end bent down at a right angle and sharpened to a point. Sometimes thread is wound round the end of the instrument just above the point, to regulate the depth of its penetration.

'Ah, heavens, she said, 'is it possible that my poor children whom he has swallowed down for his supper, can be still alive? Then the kid had to run home and fetch scissors, and a needle and thread, and the goat cut open the monster's stomach, and hardly had she made one cut, than one little kid thrust its head out, and when she had cut farther, all six sprang out one after another, and were all still alive, and had suffered no injury whatever, for in his greediness the monster had swallowed them down whole.

There was nothing. Almost always in perplexities there is some thread by resolutely holding to which one escapes at last. Here there was none. There could probably be no concealment, certainly no explanation. In a few days John Lambert would return, and then the storm must break.

These wheels sometimes have the teeth or thread formed in the casting, and sometimes they are cut after a plain casting has been made. The latter kind are, needless to say, better than the former, which often require filing up in order to make every tooth alike, and ensure sweet running.

Perhaps we'll have a rest now, and he'll quit sighing after the same. But they look fine and dandy, too." The boys did not wonder so much now at the size of the hooks they had found in Cousin Archie's assortment of war material, each of them fastened on a heavy but pliable brass snell, and with copper wire instead of thread.

But if we were to sanction the use of capacious shuttles, ten inches of thread must undergo this chafing and seesaw treatment, and under the above conditions every part of the ten inches must pass up and down two hundred times treatment that might reasonably be expected to leave little "life" in the thread.

It is not easy to determine how Plato's cosmos may be presented to the reader in a clearer and shorter form; or how we may supply a thread of connexion to his ideas without giving greater consistency to them than they possessed in his mind, or adding on consequences which would never have occurred to him. For he has glimpses of the truth, but no comprehensive or perfect vision.